Thursday, November 15, 2012

Vinton home damaged by fire

By Submitted

VINTON – The Roanoke County Fire Marshal has determined that a crack in the chimney of a wood-burning stove sparked the blaze that caused an estimated $32,000 in damages to a single story house last night in Vinton, according to a news release from the Roanoke County Fire & Rescue Department.

The fire broke out about 9 p.m. in the 300 block of 6th Street and was reported by the male homeowner. He was able to evacuate along with a female visitor and his two pets.

It took fire crews from the Vinton, Mount Pleasant and Hollins stations about 30 minutes to get the flames under control. Early this morning the fire rekindled causing additional damage to the roof. Although the masonry structure remains standing, the inside of the house has extensive fire, water and smoke damage.

Leave a Reply

Search OurValley.org

BREAKING NEWS: VINTON–The Roanoke County School Board has chosen Mike Altizer as the newest member of the board—someone they say Vinton voters have had the opportunity... » Full Story

Event Calendar

myScoper.com :: a fun and easy, interactive calendar of events :: roanoke, va

This Week's Cover | Subscribe