Tag Archive

Fatality reported in Sunday morning house fire

By Submitted
SALEM – The Salem Fire & EMS Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating a house fire that involved a fatality Sunday morning, Aug. 17. The Salem Fire & EMS Department responded to a structure fire at 827 Lakeview St. at approximately 7 a.m. The initial report of a fire was called in by citizens who... »

Dog dies in Salem house fire

By Meg Hibbert
SALEM – A dog died but its owner escaped safely after a house fire in Salem this morning that apparently started in the kitchen. Eighteen firefighters and rescue personnel turned out to control the fire within 25 minutes after the blaze was reported on Lakehurst Avenue at 9:12 a.m. According to Salem Fire &... »

Man burned in Salem apartment fire

By Meg Hibbert
SALEM – A Salem man is being treated for burns he received from a fire that the fire marshal’s office believes was caused by unattended cooking. According to Salem Fire & Emergency Medical Services, firefighters found the man outside the burning apartment at 606 Front Ave. in South Salem shortly after midnight yesterday, June... »

Resident, two dogs safe after garage apartment fire

By Meg Hibbert
SALEM – Flames where shooting out the window of a garage apartment on Horner Lane when firefighters arrived this afternoon, but the resident was able to escape safely and Salem Fire & EMS workers rescued the person’s two dogs from the apartment. The fire department is waiting for Mike Perdue’s investigation results later this... »

‘Smoking materials’ blamed for Salem Commons fire

By Meg Hibbert
SALEM – Improperly discarded cigarettes or other smoking materials have  been ruled responsible for the fire that caused thousands of dollars worth of damage to Salem Commons apartments last week and left 31 people without a home, for now. Salem Fire Marshal Doug Moore’s ruling on the accidental nature of the fire was released... »

Fire at Salem Commons blazes in third-floor apartment

By Meg Hibbert
SALEM – Salem Fire & Emergency Medical Services, assisted by Roanoke firefighters, are working to put out a fire in the top floor apartment of a section of Salem Commons, near Lakeside Shopping Center. The fire was reported earlier this afternoon, Friday, Feb. 14, and at 5:30, firefighters still had access blocked off for... »

Family of six displaced after Salem home burns

By Meg Hibbert
SALEM – A family of six won’t be home to celebrate Christmas in their Salem home this year, after a fire last night, Dec. 17, caused major smoke and flame damage to their residence at 439 Mount Vernon Ave. Everyone escaped without injury, according to the Salem Fire & EMS Department, which responded at... »

Stonegate residents concerned by low water after third home burns

By Meg Hibbert
SALEM – Marlene and Roland Wine know about low water flow from hydrants in the Stonegate neighborhood. Thirty years ago, their house burned, and firefighters couldn’t get enough water on the blaze fast enough, the Wines said. Their house was three doors away from where the Petty family lived at 1024 Stonegate Drive until... »

Third house fire in week started from attic electrical short

By Meg Hibbert
SALEM – The Salem Fire Marshal has ruled a fire that caused $250,000 in damages to a home on Stonegate Drive Sept. 25 started from an electrical short in the attic. It was the third house fire in Salem in a week. The first two were within 25 hours of each other; one happened... »

Tarpley’s & Mac’s attic fire displaces apartment residents

By Meg Hibbert
SALEM – Residents of apartments over Tarpley’s & Mac’s Appliances were displaced and the store closed temporarily after an attic fire on Monday at the historic business building at 21 E. Main St. in Salem. The Fire Marshal from the Salem Fire-Emergency Medical Services estimated $60,000 damage to the building, and ruled the fire... »