Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Fatal fire blamed on cigarette

By Meg Hibbert

SALEM – A 61-year-old man died in a house fire that the Salem Fire Marshal determined started from a discarded cigarette. The cause of the fire was released Jan. 28.

Salem Fire & Emergency Medical Services personnel found the body of Walter Reid Woodyard on Saturday, Jan. 26, when firefighters responded to the fire shortly after 9:30 p.m. at 1612 Roanoke Boulevard.

Firefighters said they found Woodyard in bed, and he was pronounced dead at the scene. The fire was contained to one room in the house. Damage was estimated at $50,000.

Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Search OurValley.org

BREAKING NEWS: VINTON–On July 21, 2015 at approximately 7:30am, Vinton Police received reports of property damage and stolen property from inside of vehicles in the Clearview/Lauderdale... » Full Story

Event Calendar

myScoper.com :: a fun and easy, interactive calendar of events :: roanoke, va

This Week's Cover | Subscribe