Although I have resisted the cupcake mania for quite a while I can not deny that they are wonderful little treats. They are, it is true. Here is a recipe of my own creation, blending together the delicious tartness of fresh cherries and the decadent sweetness of chocolate chips. I’ve seen recipes for chocolate chip cupcakes before but they usually use a yellow cake base and simply add chocolate chip. In this recipe, I wanted that delicious flavor of the chocolate chip cookie dough. Also, in regards to the cherries, if you have an overly zealous sweet tooth you may, of course, use sweet cherries but I recommend you go with the tart ones. They provide a far more rewarding experience.
Cherry Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
1 ½ cups butter, softened at room temperature
½ cup sugar
½ cup dark brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
12 oz. mini chocolate chips
½ cup fresh tart cherries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Have muffin tins out and lined with cupcake papers.
2. In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. Next add the vanilla extract, eggs, and buttermilk.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Once sifted together, gently blend dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients already in the mixer.
4. Finally, fold in chocolate chips and cherries.
5. I use a ¼ cup measuring cup to help me fill the liners, as I find it makes a wonderful tool and uses about the right amount. Fill the paper liners approximately three quarters of the way full.
6. Bake the cupcakes in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
7. These cupcakes are wonderful to leave plain if you so choose, but naturally few will choose that option. Not wanting to add much more to this treat I topped each warm cupcake with between half – one teaspoon full of cream cheese icing. Allow the icing to melt and the gently “smear” it on top of the cupcake, giving the cupcake just a subtle glaze. Allow to cool completely before eating, unless you just can’t resist of course!
Got questions about a recipe or a recipe you think I should try out? Send me a message at Carrie@mainstreetnewspapers.com! I look forward to hearing from you.